Friday, September 11, 2009

[insert eye roll here]

This was odd. My colleague needed a new mouse and the I.T. guy stopped by to deliver it for him. Mr I.T. (whom I do not actually know his name) started to chat with me and being the super nice person that I am, I indulged him despite my workload and disinterest. We talked about his Blackberry Storm and the adjustment it takes to go from a keyboard to touch screen and the crappy battery life blah blah blah. A total "nerd person" convo - completely tech related.

So imagine my surprise when he throws out there "Oh, so you live in N------*."
*I removed the name of my town to protect my privacy, of which I seem to have none.

Not a question: a statement.

It was an odd statement, because at no point have I ever had a conversation with this person about where I live. In fact, we have never had a conversation previously other than a smile and hello in passing. And it was even more odd that he would just throw it out there.

I paused, feeling uncomfortable, and slowly said "Uh, yeah...." I figured he would get to the point...like the girl who cleans the restrooms in my office did when when she stopped me one day and said "You live in N------, right? I work at the Dunkin' Donuts and I always see you running by!"

But no, Mr I.T. seemed to have no reason for this knowledge, and seemed oblivious to the inappropriate nature of the question. He followed up with "How long you live there for?"

Now I finally got smart and I said "Oh, WE have lived there for a while. Ok, so I'll let my colleague know you brought the mouse by." And I turned away from him and back to my computer.

I.T. staffers are generally socially awkward and harmless...but this felt extra creepy. Is he a hacker, scouring the company databases for home addresses? [Maybe he hacked into my Blackberry and sent the "not feeling it" email to Bad Date!]

For now the mystery remains. N----- is a big place so I'm going to hope he has seen me around town running errands and is too socially retarded to understand he should clarify his stalker-esque statements lest he frighten someone.

I was advised by my (male) colleagues I need refine who is worthy of my pleasantries and charm and who deserves to be treated like dirt. I need to go from being sweet and charismatic to an aloof bitch at a moment's notice. The next time Mr I.T. shows up with a mouse I should ignore him, but should he dare ask me where my colleague's desk is located I must sigh and roll my eyes in annoyance at the disruption - put him on guard around a person "like me". I must discourage any discourse, he's not worthy of my time. Make him feel less than human. Once he has left our space, I can return to being "myself."

Are these really skills I want to refine within my character? Do I want to be cruel and manipulative and controlling...am I even capable of it?

No comments:

Post a Comment