Saturday, September 26, 2009

Study Break

I'm supposed to be studying. I’m taking a (voluntary) finance certification exam. I’d ditch it were it not for the $1000 of my own money paying for the test.

And yet, despite the substantial amount of skin I have in the game I cannot seem to focus. Every time I sit down with the books I come up with something far more interesting to do.

The problem is when I study I suddenly become a huge procrastinator. Usually I don’t put off anything, but once there’s a pile of materials in front of me that needs learning/memorizing I unexpectedly have ALL the time in the world for special projects.

Allow me to break down a typical study session:

10:00 AM
Sit down with books.

10:03 AM
Pick at cuticles.

10:05 AM
Oh my god - the floors haven’t been scrubbed in a while. I better get on that!
[Side note: I’m a single female lives alone and does not wear shoes in the house. You could eat off my floors prior to any scrubbing.]

10:45 AM
Sit down with books. Got to focus!

11:07 AM
(Fiddling with hair) Oh look, a split end! I better grab some scissors and inspect every single strand on my head and snip off all offenders.
(As I'm snipping away I notice....) Ew, a knuckle hair. I'll show you. I'll go tweeze it.

11:08 AM
(In the bathroom)
See ya later, knuckle hair! Let me inspect my eyebrows…Well there are more than a few stragglers here.
pluck pluck pluck pluck pluck.
Any other stray hairs? Hmm, you better find some or you'll have to study again....
pluck pluck pluck pluck pluck.
Crap, definitely should not have tweezed that one. I better try and even these out.
pluck pluck pluck pluck pluck.
Oh sh!t…definitely need to put the tweezers down or there will be none left. Ok, back to the books. Actually, I should brush and floss again…

11:20 AM
Back with the books. Focus!

11:32 AM
Gee, this button is loose on the old tatty shirt I'm wearing that I never leave the house in....I better mend this shirt with its armpit stains that’s really nothing more than a rag at this point…


And so it goes. I have filled entire days with meaningless distractions simply to avoid studying. In fact, if you look at my blog entries you will notice they have increased in frequency as the test date has creeped closer and closer. But I'm also not one who enjoys admitting defeat so I'll probably buckle down at the 11th hour and focus...while all the cleaning and snippering and plucking and mending pile up.

No comments:

Post a Comment