Monday, October 5, 2009

Gr8_Guy_4U

There's a whole lot of great guys on match. Nice guys too. And a few good guys, but definitely more great guys than anything else. How do I know?

Is it from the success stories I hear from my friends regarding their positive Match.com experiences? Is it from my own experience dating guys from Match? Is it from perusing their online photos that show them surrounded by lots of friends and family? [He must be normal, someone let him hold their baby!]

Nope, I know this because of their user IDs.

For some reason, many guys on Match feel compelled to make their user ID containing 'great guy', 'gr8 guy', 'nice guy'...and about a million variations of these. I guess the rationale is "She'll overlook my hideous appearance and inability to use spell check when she sees my user ID says I'm a great guy!"

But that's the problem with these so called 'great guys': nothing in their written profile ever indicates greatness. Well, aside from the standard opening line in their summary: "My friends and family all say I'm a great guy."

Let's be honest here...if you were really that great, you would have already been snatched up by an equally great woman and you would be living out the American dream. You know, the dream that includes 2.5 kids, no savings, maxed out credit cards, a mortgage that's under water and a dried up line of credit tied to said mortgage.

You're not selling yourself with that user ID...in fact, "Gr8_Guy_4U", you're selling yourself short with it. If you're really a decent guy prove it in a meaningful way: write a great summary of who you are, what you like, and what you're looking for.

If the only thing that makes you great is your user ID and some generic testimonial attributed to friends and family...well, you best sign up for the extended plan at Match.com because that simply is not going to work. On a great gal like me, anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment