Sunday, October 11, 2009

Match - a celebration of codependency

One thing that seems to be common among the men of Match: their extreme loyalty. Nearly every prospect sites his undying loyalty in his profile...and his insistence that his Match be loyal in return.

Why loyalty? It is fairly simply to spell: l-o-y-a-l-t-y...hmm, actually not that easy. Trust me, these guys can mess that up in a heartbeat. Another thought: there's some online automated profile writer (kind of like Mad Libs for Love) that gives a baseline story and you fill in the obvious details: I enjoy {noun}, and {verb}, and I'm {adverb} into {verb}. (This could be a very fun future post, stay tuned!)

No, I believe that these guys are being honest about their codependency. Because isn't that the key "strength" of a codependent: extreme loyalty to the point that it becomes enabling?

Loyalty in a relationship should be a given. I don't want to read about how loyal you are in your profile, that's something you show me over time. And if extreme loyalty is all you've got to tell me about yourself, well then we don't have much to build on here. You may as well write "I'm extremely damaged. Can you handle that?"

So guys, lose the "loyalty" and tell me something about you that I would not already assume. Do you like to BBQ? Tell me. Are you one of those guys who "yell at the TV" when sports is on? Tell me. What are you passionate about? Tell me. If we weren't all looking for loyalty then we'd be on Adult Friend Finder, not Match.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment